[Advaita-l] Fwd: Why can't it be done by some learned scholars?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:31:18 CDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Srivathsa Rao <vathsa108 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1)There was a time ,when vedanta means advaita -vedanta only....no other
> vedanta was there

This is true.  Shankara has said in the Br.up.bhāṣyam 2.1.20:

सर्वोपनिषत्सु हि विज्ञानात्मनः परमात्मना एकत्वप्रत्ययो विधीयत
इत्यविप्रतिपत्तिः सर्वेषामुपनिषद्वादिनाम्

[It is the unanimous stand of all those who follow the upaniṣads that all
the upaniṣads enjoin the identity of the jivātman and the paramātman.]

This shows that prior to Shankara there were no vedantic schools that were
non-advaitic.

Read this post for more details:

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2013-March/034312.html

regards
subrahmanian.v

2)In north india,there is no maadhva and vishistadvaita,,,,,they are local