[Advaita-l] Gurubala in Upanayana

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 12:06:15 CDT 2015

Namaste,
The Gurubala seems to be one of the most important astrological requirement for upanayana. Even the mantra for wearing the sacred thread has the name of Brihaspati appearing in it. It is believed that in the very ancient times the nakshatra in which certain rituals were performed, was considered very important and that King Janaka took particular care to choose the appropriate nakshatra for the marriage of Mother Seeta, to counter the ill effect of Shanigraha being in the eighth house. May be some scholars have the exact details of this.

Regards,Sunil KB