[Advaita-l] Shortest Sentence in English is a Mahaa Vaakya?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Mar 23 06:16:07 CDT 2015

Did Shvetaketu take up sanyAsA to qualify for the teaching, or for that matter, UddAlaka aruNi?

praNAms
Hare Krishna

No they were not sanyAsi-s, for that matter neither yama, yAjnAvalkya, krishna were Ashrama saNyAsi-s nor nachiketa, janaka, arjuna were formal sanyAsi disciples.  Anyway, I am not denying the fact that for jnAna prApti 'saNyAsa' Ashrama sveekAram is necessary since this ashrama provides appropriate environment for the mumukshu-s...Question arises with doubts only when someone  forcefully insists 'saNyAsa Ashrama' is MUST  for obtaining the Atma jnAna.  IMHO,  bhAshyakAra nowhere says saNyAsi-s are the sole custodian of Atma jnAna or they (saNyAsi-s) are the only eligible people to get mOksha.  jnAnamAtre yadyapi 'sarvAshramiNAM adhikAraH clarifies shankara in mundaka shruti.  sthreeyO vaishyAsththA shUdrAstepi yAnti parAM gatim insists elsewhere by bhagavatpAda.  So, sanyAsa is agatyaM to pursue jnAnamArga but it is not 'anivAryaM'.

Anyway, if my memory serves me correct data, we have discussed these issues in length earlier with all possible point of views  :-)

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar