[Advaita-l] manyu-sUktaM - as per dvaita siddhAnta

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 18 01:29:25 CDT 2015

>But yagna itself is not final purushArtha for any shades of vEdAntins
>either.

>As you already know, dvaitins hold three view -- aadi-bhoutika,
>aadi-dhaivIka and adhyAtmika

>Yajna-centric view is aadhi-dhavIka view. It does not mean that they negate
>the phala granting powers of yajna deities, nor they look upon these
>deities as useless or to avoid worship. After all,  Parabrahman has granted
>such powers (of giving yajna phala etc ) to such deities and He is very
>much vested in them. Who are we mortals to override it? Dvaitins do worship
>all deities per dictum 'parivArayatha grahyaM, sarvottamatvya agrahyaM".
>Where as adhyAtmika view of seeing these vEdic texts is altogether superior
>one as the phala itself is of superior nature. That too, there exist
>explicit niravakASha vAkyas which clearly establishes the source of such
>powers to other yagna deities.

A number of irrelevant points are being made above. There was no
assertion made by anyone that a yajna-centric approach has to adopted
for interpreting Vedantic texts. There is a long tradition, a
saMpradAya, of interpreting the mantra and brAhmaNa portions of the
Veda in a yajna-centric manner.

The earliest known commentator on the Rigveda, skanda svAmin (7th CE),
as well as udgItha (7th CE) and VenkaTa mAdhava, just to name a few,
have all followed the Yajna-centric approach in interpreting the
mantra and brAhmaNa portions.

These bhAShyakAras themselves were following the same sampradAya
established by earlier bhAShyakAras. And the topic of current
discussion is not about VedAnta but has to do with the mantra portion.
Finally, to repeat the point I made earlier, in the context of a
Yajna, there is no scope to establish a hierarchy (highest to lowest)
among the Vedic deities.

Anand