[Advaita-l] suklayajurvedIya mahAnyAsa prayoga

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Mar 9 00:14:04 CDT 2015

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Animesh via Advaita-l wrote:

> Actually it is from brihada-parashara smriti .The procedure is very
> different from that of baudhAyana. Another thing is lack of raudrikarana
> etc. The number of nyasasa are different, some peculiar nyasas are also
> there like nyasam of rudramantra. The viniyoga of rudra prashna is
> different. Nayasas are performed by all 5 chapters out of 8 chapters of
> rudra ashtadhyayi.

However for normal rudri patha we usually just do Shada~nganyAsa.

> Unlike krishnayajurveda rudram , suklayajurveda
> rudram have 8 chapters ( that's why it is called as rudrashtadhyayi or
> famously rudri )

> 1) ganpati adhyaya ( including shiva samkalpa )

Because it deals with upasana, some call shivasamkalpasukta an upanishad.

> 2)  purusha suktam + uttara narayan sukta

These together form the 31st adhyaya of Vajasaneyi Samhita

> 3)  apratiratha adhyaya

The apratiratha sukta is rks 33-44 of the 17th adhyaya of the V.S.

Also after this, it is the custom to recite 17.44-49.

> 4) maitra  adhyaya

The maitra sukta is V.S. 33.30-43 and also three mantras from the 7th
adhyaya are include between the 4th and 5th rks.

> 5) namakam

This is with a few minor differences the same as the Taittireya Samhita
version.  It is the 16th adhyaya of the V.S.

> 6) mahichhara adhyaya

> 7) ugrasha- bhimashach sukta +  lomabhya svaha mantra

Actually, these are also counted as part of the 6th adhyaya

> 8) chamakam

This called the 7th adhyaya.  It is the 18th adhyaya of the V.S.

> ( additionally shantyadhyaya and svasti prathana adhyayas are recited )

The Shanti is the 8th adhyaya and it is followed by the svastiprarthana.