[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti - or more with the word itself.

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 08:37:59 CDT 2015

Anandaji - PraNAms

Thanks and I am familiar with the above slokas as I took the Atmabodha text available on line too. Here the jnaana vRitti that is required to remove the ajnaana vRitti. That is what Vedanta sharavana, manana and nidhidhyaasana involved where Shastra pramaana operates. The vRttis here are not akhandam. VRitti vyaapti is there. When akhanda akaara - is niraakara..

In tula avidya we have phala vyaapti but for muula avidya there is phalavyaapti. The constant unbroken awareness of I am - which Bhagavan Ramana puts is clearly in his Upadesha saara. This is exactly what I mentioned as it is simple and straight forwards since it is aproxa jnaanam.

ahami nashabhaaji aham aham tayaa
Spurati hRit swayam parama purna sat}

When the little ego is destroyed, I am, I am, I am (essentially unbroken awareness of I am) raises in the mind and this I am in contrast to the previous egotistical i am is paramam, puurnam and sat swaruupam (where the akhandam aspect is involved).

Thanks for taking time to explain. Appreciated it. Saw your post related to Vedanta saara of Swami Sadananda.

Hari Om!
Sadananda