[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:03:41 CDT 2015

> Your are right. The vedAntasAra of sadAnanada has explained how the
> akhaNDAkAra vRtti destroys ignorance and also destroys itself. The
> siddhAntalesha saMgraha also says: "tadutpatyuttarakShaNe eva
> brahmAdhyastanikhilaprapan~chadAhena tadantargatasya tasyApi tadaiva
> dAhAbhyupagamAt", we admit that brahmajnAna, in the very next moment after
> it has arisen, burns up the the whole world that is superimposed on
> Brahman, and burns up itself too as it is within the world.

right..when all that which is superimposed is destroyed and it has served
its purpose,
what use is of, for it to stay or maintain any further, continuously ? (
when by the very
nature of any vRtti, it is not designed to stay for ever )

However, if there remains any doubts or viparyaya, it means the ajnAna is
not
removed completely for whatever reasons, each adhikAri knows better and
there is
necessity to continue the Brahma vicAra.

> One of the
> examples cited here is that of the kataka nut powder which is added to
> water containing impurities. It makes the impurities settle down and itself
> settles down, leaving the water clear. Another example is that of water
> poured on red hot iron, where the water extinguishes the fire and seems to
> disappear. Yet another example is that of fire burning up a bundle of hay
> and itself getting extinguished when the hay is all burnt.
>
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 8:19 PM, Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In the laukika example, "This is that Devadatta", the recognition of
> > devadatta, once it has occurred, there is no "abiding" (constant) feeling
> > "this is that devadatta", just as the man who is told "you are the
> tenth",
> > will not continue to "realize" that he is the tenth person, after he has
> > realized just once, with the help of a passer-by (pramANa). After his
> > earlier agony of missing a person is destroyed by the realization, "I am
> > the tenth", the "realization" that he is the tenth also becomes
> irrelevant.
> > Why? There was no missing person, to begin with, and so the statement
> "you
> > are the tenth" was not really required! I think this is what the Swamiji
> is
> > alluding to when he says the BrahmajnAna from the upanishad pramANa is a
> > vRtti jnAna, as opposed to a svarUpajnAna. The brahmajnAna is only
> required
> > to put an end to avidyA, and not beyond that.
> >
> > Anand

Thanks