[Advaita-l] On dRshTAnta (दृष्टान्तः) and dArshTAntika (दार्ष्टान्तिकः)

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 00:09:15 CDT 2015

I found that the secondary derivative of dRshTanta (दृष्टान्तः) is confusing to quite a few. dRshTanta (दृष्टान्तः) is, as is well known, an example or illustration. That which has a dRshTAnta is dArshTAntika (दार्ष्टान्तिकः), derived from dRshTanta by adding the taddhita affix ठञ् . In other words, that which is exemplified or illustrated is the dArshTAntika. For instance, in BSB 2.3.23, to illustrate the point that AtmA pervades the body, the dRshTanta of candana (sandalwood paste) is used. Here candana is the dRshTanta and AtmA is the dArshTAntika. The two words are related in the same way as उपमान and उपमेय are related.
RegardsN. Siva Senani