[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 23:57:29 CDT 2015

Dear Shri Chandramouliji,

Your are right. The vedAntasAra of sadAnanada has explained how the
akhaNDAkAra vRtti destroys ignorance and also destroys itself. The
siddhAntalesha saMgraha also says: "tadutpatyuttarakShaNe eva
brahmAdhyastanikhilaprapan~chadAhena tadantargatasya tasyApi tadaiva
dAhAbhyupagamAt", we admit that brahmajnAna, in the very next moment after
it has arisen, burns up the the whole world that is superimposed on
Brahman, and burns up itself too as it is within the world. One of the
examples cited here is that of the kataka nut powder which is added to
water containing impurities. It makes the impurities settle down and itself
settles down, leaving the water clear. Another example is that of water
poured on red hot iron, where the water extinguishes the fire and seems to
disappear. Yet another example is that of fire burning up a bundle of hay
and itself getting extinguished when the hay is all burnt.