[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 02:50:34 CDT 2015

Dear Sri Aurobindo Padiyath,

I draw your attention to the following statements made by you earlier.

<< "akhandakara vritti"
Akhanda meaning unbroken, Akara meaning (here) Swaroopa,  Vritti (here)
meaning continues,  (not thoughts). >>

 and

<< It is called a
vritti as a misnomer due to the absence of a better word. >>.

I am citing here its usage by one of the earliest authors Sri Sadanada Yogi
in his work “ Vedanta Sara “ , a widely acclaimed and authoritative
Vedantic work . In statement 171 it states , inter alia ,

<< …….akhanda-aakaara-kaaritaa chittavrittih udeti >> translated as << ……an
akhandakara mental vritti ( thought )  is born >> ( translation into
English is mine from the kannada translation by Swami Harshananda  ) .

Note that “ chitta vrittih udeti “ is specifically stated leaving no doubts
about the  meaning of the word “ vritti “. It is intended to mean “ thought
“ only and is quite appropriate in this context . Concerning “ akhandakara
“ , based on the brief footnotes given by Swami Harshananda in his kannada
translation for statement 171, I am elaborating on its meaning. When the
Guru pronounces the Maha Vakya “ tatvamasi “ , the Shabda produces a chitta
vritti which has for its “ object “ the meaning of the Shabda “ tatvmasi “
. The Shishya , who has already understood from the Guru the meaning of the
terms “ tat “ and “tvam “ , understands the meaning of the Maha Vakya in
accordance with its “ akhandartha “ as << I am Brahman >> ( and not
according to the commonly accepted samsargartha or bhedartha as proposed by
Purvapakshins and rejected by Advaitins ) . This understanding thus forms
the “ object” for the vritti. Hence , similar to the terms “ ghatakara
vritti “  or “ patakara vritti “ , the vritti in this case is termed “
akhandakara vritti “ .

Hence in the context in which the author has employed it, there does not
appear to be anything wrong in the appropriateness of the term “
akhandakara vritti “ . You have principally referred to the nature of the
knowledge gained through subsequent Realization  as the context and
dismissed its usage as inappropriate which , I respectfully submit , is not
warranted

Pranams and Regards

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Aurobind Padiyath via Advaita-l <