[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

Aurobind Padiyath aurobind.padiyath at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:12:34 CDT 2015

Hari Om!!!
Sri Venkatraghavanji and Sri Sadaji,
Just to clear my views on your replies:

Venkatraghavanji replied:

If you are saying that avidyA and brahman (or swaroopa in your terminology)
cannot exist simultaneously, that is not correct. Avidya doesn't require
the antah karaNa for its existence.  Avidya rests and exists (apparently)
only because of brahman, and not antah karaNa - that is the moolAvidyA or
mAyA or kAraNa sharirA.

Me: Swaprakashe kuto Avidya? In the Light of knowledge no ignorance can
stand. So if you accept Brahman and Avidya co-exist it is like both
darkness and light on the same object. Maya or MoolAvidya or what ever we
call it is not in Swaroopa or Brahman, both being the same, but in the
Anthakarana thru which the Jeeva bhava is assumed. The Jeeeva bhava is a
reflected knowledge of That Brahman. Reflection being thru the Anthakarana
the impurity of the Anthakarana can affect the quality of Pure knowledge
but never affect That source.

Venkatraghavanji replied:

The absence of knowledge in deep sleep is due to the absence of any
vishaya, but that doesn't mean that the folded mind becomes an aparoksha
brahma gyAni then. Your statement that "ignorance cannot stand in the
presence of swaroopa unless assisted by antahkaraNa" cannot be true,
because otherwise in deep sleep the moolavidyA would be destroyed because
of its proximity to Brahman and absence of antahkaraNam.

Me: You misunderstood me here. I did not say in deep sleep one becomes
Aporoksha Brahma Jnani. All I said was there is Vishesha vijnana abhava and
hence no ignorance caused by non-apprehension and mis-apprehension. There
is the light knowledge shining as it is and not reflected, in deep sleep.
And no one will ever "become" a Jnani in deep sleep because you do not have
the cause and effect of ignorance there. Both these cause and effect
causing the ignorance is in other than deep sleep. One can treat illness
only on who it is shown. The 'sleeper' doesn't know or show Ajnana and
hence no Vidya can be given to that state.

Venkatraghavanji replied:

The ananda that is experienced in deep sleep is because the kAraNa sharira
simply reflects brahman and no other thing, and as the vritti in deep sleep
is a pure antar-mukha vritti without any bahir vishaya disturbances, the
reflection of ananda swaroopam of brahman  on the folded mind causes the
"experience of ananda" more than one would typically face in the jAgrat
avasthA - the exception being yogic samAdhi, when there is a similar chitta
vritti nirodhA.

Me: I do not agree with you that there is "The Ananda" experienced
as reflected in Kaarana Shareera. While I agree the absence of Vishaya
Vigjnana, The Ananda one feels here is the stillness of vritti (in other
words mind) caused due to the absence of Variying Vishaya Vigjnana. The
Ananda of Bhuma even if reflected is unfathomable. Yetra na Anya pashyati,
Anya Shrunoti etc...

Sadaji replied:

Sakshii swaruupam is jnaanam as pure consciousness not jnaanam of -
including the jnaanam of self. It is unqualified homogenous
undifferentiated consciousness or pure Knowledge without any qualification.
Saakshi does not even know or need not know its saaskhitvam too  as from
its point there is no saakshyam also. Some of these are discussed in the
Advaita Makaranda by Lakshmidhara kavi.

Me: This is exactly what I also said. IT, the Sakshi, alone is there is
deep sleep. The Anthakarana abhava in deep sleep is not ignorance or
avidya. One cannot prove that the anthakarana is the one who is sleeping
because one should know that the anthakarana is identified by the vritties.
In the absence of it does not mean it is present and sleeping. Just as the
Jagrat vishaya vigjnana is only to Jagrat , It's absence is deep sleep. The
Avidya we talk is present and experienced only in Jagrat (includes both
waking and dream). We do not know the Sakshi in deep sleep because the
anthakarana is not there to know or reflect.

Now to summarize:

Vritties, immaterial if we call it Anthakarana, is the Avidaya. And just as
no snake can exist without a real rope these vritties are intertwined with
the Truth and hence difficult to separate just as difficult as the snake to
be separated from the rope, unless the knowledge arises in the same place
where the snake knowledge exists and at the same time and space too. So
only in waking there is Avidya and it can be removed only in waking. The
Akhandakara Vritti (not a Vritti as in normal terms) is the waking state of
that Jnanai who sees everything as Sat Chit Ananda. Or as Chandogya Ch. 7
says. Yetra na anya pashyati, any shrunoti, anya vijanati. Either
everything as Bhodaroopam or Total Oneness where there is nothing other
than Pure Existance.

Aurobind

--
Aurobind Padiyath