[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 21:25:22 CDT 2015

Chandramouliji :

I am sorry I have copied a fairly large portion from your post . I could not condense it as my observations have to be related by you to the corresponding portions which are spreadout in this part of your post. My apologies.

My understanding of the position at selfrealization is significantly different . Yes . All objective knowledge could be considered as due to reflections. But what happens when the “ object “ is the “ Source of the Original Light “ ?? This is the position when the Guru says “ tatvamasi “ to the Sadhaka . The sadhaka is all absorbed in the “ Atman / Brahman “ thought . Is the “ knowledge “ then due to reflections ? Is there any need for reflected light ( Chidabhasa ) at all for this knowledge ?? The answer is a definite NO . The knowledge is due to the “ Source of Original Light “ itself . Hence in this “ knowledge “ there is no Chidabhasa. There are no independent aham vritti and idam vritti in this “ knowledge “. This is what I had explained in my understanding of the term “ akhandakara vritti “. This , in brief , is my understanding.

---------------
Chandramouliji - PraNAms

1. It applies to all objective or objectifyable entities - only does not apply to pure self and in that case the self does not need self-knowledge as it is one without a second.

2. The objective light is also forms an image in the mind as a thought and light of consciousness from chidabhasa has to fall on the thought and get reflected back to the mind for me to know that there is objective light sources too. Hence the analogy is, in principle, applies to all inert object. Hence atma jyoti is called jyotrijyotiH and swayam jyotiH - even to see the sun is inert from the point of consciousness. I am the only that is self-conscious and the rest of the world including objective light depend on me to shine or illumine.

Saakshii is the original light and chidaabhasa is the reflected light- Self realization involves upahita chaitanyam only -using the reflected consciousness, and using veveka one has to recognize the original. Hence self-realization is also only at vyaavahaarika level.

. 3. Missing concept in the model is even the reflecting medium is also I am. For that vedanta also pramaana since it says the whole world is nothing but Brahman only appears as inert entities too. Hence even the saakshyam is also I am.

4. In all knowledge of x,y,z, there is chidaabhaasa -since mind is involved. manaeva manushyaanam ...  For pure consciousness there is no need any knowledge since it is its swaruupam. Any in any knowledge including self-knowledge, the mind, the chidaabhaasa are involved and chidaabhasa cannot be unless there is the original light. Hence saaskhii, chidaabhasa and the reflective medium - all are involved in self-realization. Self being one without a second does not need self-realization.

5. Hence even self-realization is also within vyaavahaarika satyam only.

Not sure if I have addressed the issue you have raised.

Hari Om!
Sadananda