[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 23:58:25 CDT 2015

My understanding, from Swami Paramarthananda's talks, is that akhandAkAra
vritti is simply the thought aham brahmasmi. That is the meaning of aham is
atma, which is identical with Brahman, which is the adhishthanam of the
world.

Therefore by this thought, one realises that the statement (and reality) is
really not an equation of the form A=B but an identity of the form A=A, and
therefore reality is not dvaitam containing elements A and B, but only A -
that is myself. As Sri Shankara Bhagavatpada says in the mundaka bhashyam
reference quoted by Sri Subrahmanian, with this thought, duality is negated
in the next second.

That is the akhandAkAra being referred to here - in my understanding.

If this is incorrect, I would greatly appreciate if someone can point that
out and correct where I'm wrong.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
Curious to know whether Bhagawan Sankaracharya used 'Akhnadaakara Vritti'
in any of his  bhashyas, if so, you please give reference.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Yes, I am also wondering whether this term has been used anywhere in
bhAshya by shankara.  I request the Sanskrit knowers to clarify how
'akhanda' can have the 'AkAra' that too with 'vrutti' rUpa??  Or is it
symbolically used to denote the sama darshana of the samyak jnAni??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar