[Advaita-l] Difficulty in Ignorance Analysis

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 23:08:03 CDT 2015

Namo Vidvadbhyaha

I am having difficulty analysing one Vaadiraaja's argument in
Nyayaratnavali. All the objects are covered by Ignorance before we see
them. When I see a pot the Ignorance cover is lifted and then only I
can see the pot. Some books are calling this 'Veil of Ignorance' But
Advaitis will also say the pot is a Superimposition - Adhyaasa on
Brahman. But this Adhyaasa is also Ignorance only. If the earlier
covering Ignorance is destroyed when I see the pot how can the second
Ignorance - Adhyaasa arise? If the first covering Ignorance is
destroyed the second Ignorance must not arise. Because Vaadiraaja says
Advaitis say the Avaraka Ajnana - covering Ajnana is the Material
Cause of the Adhyaasa. Then if this is true I must not see the pot.

There is a contradiction in Vaadiraaja's opinion. I have to solve this
contradiction.

I have a firm belief there is a solution in Advaita but I dont know
it. Kindly inform me if there is a solution. I know some people
knowing the solution but they are not available to answer my question
now.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh