[Advaita-l] Who wrote Saundarya Lahari?

RAMESH RAMANAN rameshramanan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 01:27:12 CDT 2015

Pranams,

I think you have got it confused. The word 'Dravida Sishu' refers not to Adi Shankara but to the noted Saivite Saint of Tamil Nadu, Sri Thirujnana Sambandhar. Sri Adi Shankara must have been aware of Sri Jnana Sambandha being given breast milk by Mother Goddess Parvathi and so, he is referring to that incident. As regards your other observation of a bala brahmachari describing the parts of a female body, one way of explaining it is by saying that Adi Shankara was a Sarvajna and so he knew everything. If this explanation does not seem to be acceptable, then, it could be that the Mother Goddess herself inspired him with the required knowledge for the same. It is simply impossible to deny his authorship of the book, because Sri Chandrashekarendra Saraswathi Mahaswamigal of Kanchi has nicely commented on the book, saying that it is an authentic work of Sri Adi Shankara.
Pranams once again, Ramesh Ramanan.