[Advaita-l] Query on size of yagnopavItaM

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 09:47:37 CDT 2015

Namaste Sri Animesh Mahodaya

You are correct we have become ignorant of this issue. Some very
orthodox Brahmin families may prepare and wear it according to Sastra.
In South Indian cities many Brahmins are simply purchasing Yajnopavita
in some shops and wearing the same on Upakarma day. They are following
same practice in giving Daana. Nobody is paying attention to
Yajnopavita size. You are lucky if you can find a Brahmin shopkeeper
selling Yajnopavita. Worse situation is some Brahmins may purchase
from Vaishya shopkeepers. We don't know who has prepared that
Yajnopavita. Kshatriyas are very few in number. Majority of
Yajnopavita purchase is by Brahmins and Vaishyas.

<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:

> SrI mAtre namaH
>
> Namaste ,
>
> This query was posted to our group  two months  earlier but remained unnoticed among the honorable vidwAns so I'm again sending this , kindly apologize .
>
> In mAtrikAbheda tantra ( 11 th patala ) I found some verses describing different size of yagnyopavItaM for four vedas .
>
> श्रीचण्डिकोवाच
>
> यज्ञसूत्रधारणेन भूपूज्यो नात्र संशयः /
> इदानीं यज्ञसूत्रस्य विधानं मयि कथ्यताम् //
>
> श्रीशंकर उवाच /
>
> यज्ञसूत्रस्य यन्मानं तच्छृणुष्व वरानने /
> ऋग्वेदी धारयेत् सूत्रं नाभेर्ऊर्ध्वं स्तनाद् अधः //
>
> यजुषां सूत्रमानं हि आश्चर्यं शैलजे परम् /
> बाहुमूलप्रमाणेन यज्ञसूत्रं द्विजातिभिः /
> धारणीयं प्रयत्नेन नान्यद्दैर्घ्यं कदाचन //
> सामगस्य यज्ञसूत्रं त्रिविधं वरवर्णिनि /
> ब्रह्मरन्ध्रान्नाभिदेशपर्यन्तं यज्ञसूत्रकम् //
> अथवापि च ग्रीवायाम् आरोप्य नाभिं संस्पृशेत् /
> तस्मात् पृष्ठान् मेरुदण्डपर्यन्तं यज्ञसूत्रकम् //
> अथवा परमेशानि प्रकारान्तरकं शृणु /
> ग्रीवाया दक्षिणाङ्गुष्ठपर्यन्तं यज्ञसूत्रकम् //
>
> अथर्वो (अथर्वी) धारयेद्यज्ञसूत्रं परममोहनम् /
> आज्ञाचक्रान्नाभिदेशपर्यन्त यज्ञसूत्रकम्ं // .
> अथवा धारयेत्सूत्रं यत्नेन यजुषां मतम् /
> अथवा धारयेत्सूत्रं सामगस्य प्रमाणतः //
>
> एतत्संकेतम् अज्ञात्वा यः कुर्यात्सूत्रधारणम् /
> स चण्डालसमो देवि यदि व्याससमो भवेत् //
>
> My queries  are
> 1) Do present day brahmans belonging to different vedas wear different size yagnopavitam ?
>
> ( In north India generally all brahmins wear bAhUmula size yagnopavita i.e.
> Length of ' from shoulder to right hip' , Do south Indian brahmins belonging to different vedas follow such practice of wearing yagnopavitam of different size according to respective veda .? )
>
> 2) If not can , we restore this practice with proper prayachhitA of our ignorance to this issue.
>
> Regards
> Animesh

Regards

-Venkatesh