[Advaita-l] What is avidyA vR^itti as against antaHkaraNa vR^itti?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 00:33:15 CDT 2015

Dear Sri Durga Prasad Ji,

 Reg << What is avidyA vR^itti  (अविद्या वृत्ति)  as against antaHkaraNa
vR^itti  (अन्तःकरण वृत्ति)?

Examples of avidyA vR^itti  (अविद्या वृत्ति)  are

इच्छाकार अविद्या वृत्ति  (ichChAkAra avidyA vR^itti)

सुखाकार अविद्या वृत्ति   (sukhAkAra avidyA vR^itti)
(That is mind and its attributes.) >> ,

 Where the mind is the object itself , as in the above two examples you
have cited , the vritti leading to knowledge is termed “ avidya vritti
“ ( अविद्या
वृत्ति ) . In all other cases where the object is different from the mind (
and its vritti ) , the vritti is termed antahkarana vritti ( अन्तःकरण
वृत्ति ) .

 Reg << Sarvajnatma-muni states that in illusions such as seeing a nacre as
silver,
इदम्  is अन्तःकरण वृत्ति   (  idam is antaHkaraNa vR^itti
रजताकार​ is अविद्या वृत्ति  (  rajatAkAra  is avidyA vR^itti) >> ,

 The antahkarana vritti issues forth through the eye and contacts the
object nacre . However it is not capable of uncovering the nacre fully and
does so only partially. Hence the Chidabhasa is only able to illumine the
Idam ( this is ) part only . It is unable to illumine the “ nacre “ ( shell
) part . Therefore Idam is termed antahkarana vritti . The “
rajatakara “ ( रजताकार​
) ( silver ) part is a projection of the avidya located in the Consciouness
enclosed by nacre ( शुक्तिअवछ्छिन्नचैतन्याश्रितअविद्या ) . This is not
contacted by the earlier antahkarana vritti ( which is in contact with
nacre ) and is illumined directly by the Consciousness associated with the
mind ( साक्शि ) ( Sakshi or Witness ) . This “ rajatakara “ ( रजताकार​ ) is
termed Avidya vritti ( अविद्या वृत्ति ) .

 In all cases of illusion , the “ this is “ part is due to “ antahkarana
vritti “ and the “ illusion “ part is due to “ avidya vritti “ .

 I hope I am clear.

Regards

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Durga Janaswamy via Advaita-l <