[Advaita-l] Shankara's view on Guru without having Shatra study

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 08:56:08 CDT 2015

Sri Vivek,
Shankara BhagavatpAda is not being strict - he is merely being in line with
shruti which says a guru should be "shrotriyam brahmanishTham".

It's not sufficient if guru is just brahmanishTham, he would need to be a
shrotriya too - because shruti says that it is ultimately shravaNa, manana,
nidhidhyAsana of shAstram alone that leads to mokshA. The guru therefore
would need to be a shastra and sampradAya-vit himself to teach students the
shAstram.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 11 Jul 2015 14:31, "Vivek via Advaita-l" <