[Advaita-l] akhanDaakara-vRtti‏

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 09:37:05 CDT 2015

Shree Venkataraghavan - PraNAms - in the bhaagatyaaga lakshana only the contradictory attributes are dropped and not those that are common for this and that Devadatta. Some saadRisyam has to be there for validation of oneness of  Devadatta. At least the name is common here. If every attribute is dropped then this Devadatta could also be that yagnadatta too!

In the case of tat tvam asi - the existence part is not negated existence as this and that -only contradictory attributes that appear to invalidate the equation are dropped and not to the common ones.

Bhagavan Ramana puts this as
Isha jeevayoH veshadhee bhidaa, satva bhaavato vastu kevalam. The costumes that Iswara and Jeeva wearing are only different but from the existence part is not dropped.

Hari Om!
Sadananda