[Advaita-l] akhanDaakara-vRtti‏

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 03:44:45 CDT 2015

PraNAms Bhaskarji,
The question was if it is possible to cognize an object without its
attributes.

The answer in certain cases, like "soyam devadatta", you can. Please
consider the sentence soyam devadatta, leaving all notions of whatever or
whoever devadatta is.

What does that sentence, taken in isolation, convey? Do we know, just by
that sentence, if devadatta is a man, a woman, a dog, an alien? We don't.

The sentence simply conveys that there is an object called devadatta, which
is commonly referred to by the sa: and ayam padAs.

Because we don't know the attributes of devadatta, can we say that no
knowledge whatsoever is produced by the sentence?

We cannot, because that sentence produces knowledge that there is such a
common object referred to by sa: and ayam, we just dont know what exactly
he/she/it is.

The knowledge produced here is nishprakAraka.

I know you didn't address me, but I thought the explanation could be of
some use in your enquiry. If not, please accept my apologies and excuse my
intrusion.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 8 Jul 2015 09:29, "Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l" <