[Advaita-l] akdhandaakara vRitti - My mistake

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 08:16:51 CDT 2015

Sri Srimallalalitaalaalita:,
You said:

1) >>I hope that it mentions that I'm accepting that the GYAna which causes
emancipation, which is generated by mahAvAkya is akhaNDAkAra.

2) >>Note that it's not akhaNDAkAra because it removes bheda/khaNDa.
This is where I'm objecting by saying that it's called so because it's not
illuminating anything else(relation or adjective), apart from a single
entity.

Thanks for the clarification. I would be most grateful if you can give the
specific reference within advaita siddhi that defines akhandAkArA as such.

Having made that request, I respect your learning of the subject and I am
prepared to accept your definition, but to trace that to the original
source would complete my understanding of the term.

I don't think I was suggesting that the application of the term akhandAkAra
be restricted to only the mahavakya janya jnAnam.

I also do not believe Swami Paramarthananda's definition is limiting it
only to a context of mahavakya janya jnanam either. It is simply saying
that the akhandAkAra vritti generated by mahAvAkya has svarUpa abhedA  -
there is no relational knowledge such as observer / observed, nor is there
any knowledge of attributes, for the thing known is attribute less.

However, we are students of VedAnta (at least I am. I am not sure about
your good self, as sometimes you refer to "you" and "your" in connection
with vedAnta and vedAntic AchAryAs, but let's leave that aside). When a
student of vedAntA approaches a vedAntic guru with the question "What is
akhandAkAra vritti?", the gurus answer would depend on
a) What is the level of the student's understanding and maturity?
b) What is the guru's understanding of the student's understanding level.
c) What is the context of the question.
d) What is the purpose that the guru seeks to achieve by answering the
question.
e) What is the guru's understanding of the subject matter.
The gurus purpose here is for the sishya to realise that Brahman and he
have svarUpa abhedatvam and therefore be a mukta. You have agreed that the
mahavakya jnAnam that gives rise to moksha is also akhandAkArA.

The answer to the question "What is akhandAkAra vritti?" can be given in
such a way as to both satisfy the sishyAs question and also achieve the
prayojanam of Moksham.

The sishyA did not ask the guru to give the lakshaNam of akhandAkArA that
is free from ativyApti, avyApti or anyathAvyApti doshAs.

It is my humble opinion that without considering the other factors, to
directly conclude that the answer given the by the guru implies the guru's
lack of understanding of the subject matter is unwarranted.

Regards,
Venkat