[Advaita-l] Sava yajnas

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Tue Jan 27 11:59:33 CST 2015

Namaste,

Not to discourage you but why these tortuous paths !!

Please try to contemplate on the 46th sloka of 6th chapter of BG:

tapasvibhyO(a)dhikO yOgI jnAnibhyO(a)pi matO(a)dhikaH
karmibhyashchAdhikO yOgI tasmAt yOgI bhavArjuna

Acharya Sankara says:

tapasvibhyaH adhikO yOgI jnAnibhyaH api, jnAnaM atra shAstrapANDityaM
tadvadbhyaH api matO jnAtaH adhikaH shrESTa iti karmibhyaH
agnihOtrAdi karma tadvadbhyaH adhikO yOgI vishiSTO yasmAt
tasmAt yOgI bhava arjuna

The yOgi is on a higher pedestal than the one who is doing intellectual jugglery; the yOgi
stands on a higher plane than the person who is doing the karma like agnihOtra etc. Hence,
O Arjuna ! Become a yOgi !

Thus, exhorts bhagavAn kriSNa.

There is a beautiful sentence in 44th sloka of the same chapter which
says "jignAsurapi yOgasya shabda brahma ativartatE"

So, "yOga-mArga" (meditation as explained in the 6th chapter of BG)
is the ideal path for sAdhakAs.  Even shrI.vidyAraNya too mentions about
this path for sAdhakAs having "chitta-vikSEpa".

I am not denying that yajna, yAga, kratu etc. are useless but for
serious sAdhakAs, these again lead to dhUma-mArga.

Life is short and every moment is fleeting by. We must make use of
this precious time in meditation and study of vEdAnta rather than
breaking our heads with "shava-sadhAna".

My 2 cents..

regs,
sriram