[Advaita-l] Sringeri Jagatguru announces His Successor

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 11:36:15 CST 2015

Thanks for this and the following reply.

I think it would be fruitful to look at the video in the front page of
http://www.sringeri.net/

I think it would be useful for the "illiterate modernists" to listen
carefully, especially to the parts between minutes 16:00 and 22:00. There
was also some speculation on the qualifications of a successor designate.
The basic qualification is I think a solid grounding in the
sAdhanAcatuShTayam. Some people had mentioned being versed in the vedas.
Sri Bharati Tirtha had undergone yajurveda adhyayanam. But Sri Vidyatirtha
took up sannyaasa when he was 14 or so and has mentioned in one of his
talks that he had learned just a few suuktams before taking up sannyaasa. A
a matter of fact, he has mentioned that when he was taught the shankara
bhAshyams, he realized that they corresponded to what he had already
realized. So, I think the peethaadipatis make a decision which they think
is optimal and we don't have access to their thought process.

Rama

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <