[Advaita-l] Advaita-vedanta and Goddess dhUmAvatI

Animesh darkdevil114 at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 15 10:59:31 CST 2015

SrI mAtre namaH ,

Namaste SrI Ramesh jI

You wrote " Does this Goddess dhoomavathi also have something to do with the Dhooma Marga discussed in the Avadhuta Gita? "
There is no direct relation direct relation between these two but apparently there is .
I assume you are mentioning of following verse of avdhuta gItA "

न धुममार्गो न च दीप्तिमार्गो .....

I request you to study 36th verse for clarification.

अद्वैतम् केचिदिच्छन्ति द्वैतमिच्छन्ति चापरे | समं तत्त्वं न विन्दन्ति द्वैताद्वैत विवर्जितं ||

She is one whose upAsana  helps in achieving such state where there neither dual nor non dual exist only param bramha is there .Even first verse of avdhuta gItA  mentions

" इश्वरानुग्रहादेव पुंसामाद्वैत वासना  "
Here ( my personal view ) grace of lord is main reason for achieving the supreme state of advaita and interest in knowing self  . ( Advaita vAsana means interest in knowing the nondual  supreme self ).Even in a  different verse ( starting of vivekachudAmanI ) AchArya himself mentions of grace of lord for achieving advaita state  .

I'm also including a verse from a tantra which describes of goddess dhUmAvatI "

धूमावती महामाया धूमासुरनिसुदनी
धूमरूपा महादेवी चतुर्वर्गप्रदायनी ||

Here we find beauty of Sanskrit ( I'm interpreting in vedAntic context )
"  धूमासुरनिसुदनी " means she who is slaughterer of agyAna  and dehAtma buddhI . " धूमरूपा " means one who is not other than the prAna . चतुर्वर्गप्रदायनी means ( in vedantic context ) who impart the sAdhana chatushtaya to sAdhAk ( another meaning may be one who grants the dharma , artha , kAma , moksha ).

Hope this helps you .

Regards
Animesh