[Advaita-l] The Andhra Maha Bharatamu - A short study

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 21:36:09 CST 2015

One more such instance in the Mahabharata (Sauptikaparva), where Krishna speaks of Shiva as the Supreme:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m10/m10017.htm

The holy one {i.e. Krishna} said, "Verily, Drona's son had sought the aid of that
highest of all the gods, the eternal Mahadeva. It was for this that he succeeded in slaying,
single-handed, so large a number of warriors. If Mahadeva be gratified, he can bestow even
immortality. Girisha can give such valour as will succeed in checking Indra himself.
I know Mahadeva truly, O bull of Bharata's race! I know also his various acts of old.
He, O Bharata, is the beginning, the middle, and the end of all creatures.
This entire universe acts and moves through his energy."

http://sanskritdocuments.org/mirrors/mahabharata/txt/mbh10.itx

vAsudeva uvAcha||

nUnaM sa devadevAnAmIshvareshvaramavyayam |
jagAma sharaNaM drauNirekastenAvadhIdbahUn || 6||

prasanno hi mahAdevo dadyAdamaratAmapi |
vIryaM cha girisho dadyAdyenendramapi shAtayet || 7||

vedAhaM hi mahAdevaM tattvena bharatarShabha |
yAni chAsya purANAni karmANi vividhAnyuta || 8||

AdireSha hi bhUtAnAM madhyamantashcha bhArata |
vicheShTate jagachchedaM sarvamasyaiva karmaNA || 9||