[Advaita-l] Sringeri Jagatguru announces His Successor

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:29:08 CST 2015

Dear Sri Venkatesh Murthy,

Obviously, you don't get it at all. Division of people into linguistic and regional
backgrounds is already there in society. It is because of this actual vyavahAra
that you are even raising the question of why a Mulakanadu boy, why not an
Iyer boy or a Nambudiri or a Bobburu Kamme boy, etc. These distinctions are
meaningless for saMnyAsins. They carry meaning only for people who are deeply
involved in external vyavahAra. It is because of this vyavahAra that people think
of Kannada vs. Tamil, Marathi vs. Kannada, Tamil vs. Telugu, Seemandhra vs.
Telangana etc.

Such divisions are not created by the Sankaracharyas of any of our Mathas. I
suggest you make a trip to Sringeri on any random day and see how many
people come there, from all across the country. Better still, I suggest you visit
during the annual Vakyartha Sadas, to see how traditionally trained scholars
from all over the country participate and are honored. Even better, do take the
time to find out the linguistic and regional backgrounds of various adhyApakas
who have taught and teach in the pAThaSAlA there. These are not things that
any of the traditional Mathas advertise, but if you stopped worrying about the
superficials and actually tried to find out the details of how things actually work
in these Peethams, you will find a very different world from what you project.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar