[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 127, Issue 23

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 09:48:43 CST 2015

Here is the Katu Satya the Harsh Reality everybody should know. In olden
days there was financial support and encouragement for Vedic Learning
because the Royal Kings were supporting a large number of Brahmins by
giving them property, cattle and income. My wife's cousin's great
grandfather was going to Mysore King's court only for one or two days in a
year and composing some Sanskrit poem to honour the King. For that he was
getting yearly income and a large house. Many Vedic Pundits were being
supported financially. The students had no fear of poverty if they followed
Vaidika education. Financial support was guaranteed.

Now things are very different. There is no financial support from Kings.
Except for big cities the boy following Vaidika profession will earn very
small income. Who will play King's role? It should be the religious Maths
with good financial condition. Some Mathadhipatis are respected like Kings
and are wearing crowns like Kings. Then they should also support a large
number of Brahmins like olden day kings. They should support Vedic
education and revive dying Vedic Shakhas.

Another option is rich individuals. But my observation is the rich
individuals have other priorities, Reviving dying Shakhas is not first
priority. They will donate to building temples, Poojas and Homas but not to
Vedic Pundits to teach some students.