[Advaita-l] Result of karma where result is not mentioned

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 06:58:32 CST 2015

Namaste,

While both pUrva mImAmsa and vedAnta agree that akaraNe pratyavAya:, there
is a difference in what causes pratyavAya.

Firstly, there is a श्रुति वाक्यं that supports this - अकरणे प्रत्यवायः ।

There is smriti support too -
अकुर्वन् विहितं कर्म निन्दितं च समाचरन्।
प्रसज्यंश्च इन्द्रियार्थेषु नरः पतनमृच्छति॥

The pUrva mImAmsaka says that the non performance of नित्यकर्म *produces*
प्रत्यवायं, we say that this is impossible.

अकरणं being अभावरूपं, cannot produce sin, which is भावरूपं. This is not
possible. From a logical perspective, existence of the cause is transferred
to the effect. A non existent cause cannot create an existent effect. That
is the असत्कार्यवाद of the न्याय philosopher, which we vehemently deny
(माण्डूक्य कारीका).

Our experience also tells us that something cannot be created from nothing.
Moreover, Krishna also says न असतः विद्यते भावः in Chapter 2. In छान्दोगय
6.22, it is asked कथं असतः सज्जायेत? So from अनुमान, अनुभव, स्मृति and
श्रुति प्रमाण, it is proven that the non performance of नित्यकर्म does not
produce पापं.

Essentially what the pUrva pakshi is arguing that non-existence becomes
existence, or existence becomes non-existence. That is totally impossible
because it is contradictory to all pramaNAs.

But the vedAnta position has to be reconciled with अकरणे प्रत्यवाय  श्रुति.
How?

Shankara analyses this in Taittariya ShIkshA valli BhAshyam.

In 2 ways:
1) When nitya karma is done, regular cleaning of prArabdha pApam (दुरित
क्षयं) occurs. When नित्यकर्म is not done, pApam which would have otherwise
been removed, gets accumulated regularly. Therefore अकरणे प्रत्यवायः, not
production of new pApam.
2) Suppose nitya karma is not done, at the time when it should have been
done, some other karma will have to be done. Nobody can remain quiet. It
will invariably be either adharma or para dharma. Both of these will be
bhAva rUpam only. Both adharma and para dharmam will produce pApam.

Therefore, vedAnta agrees with pUrva mImAmsa that अकरणे प्रत्यवाय, but
unlike it, we say it is not due to the *production* of pApam because of non
performance.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 25 Dec 2015 15:05, "Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l" <