[Advaita-l] Theory of Language: Mimamsa, Advaita and Vyakarana - 2 of 3

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 08:23:50 CST 2015

Sir, Namaste.
Let me put your query in my words, so that I understand it properly. Here there are three entities dadhi - let us call dadhi as E1; atra, E2; and dadhy, E3. Now your query is this:
"The interpretation of E1 depends on E2, which occurs after it." - if by "interpretation", we mean "form", yes, E1 'transforms' to E3, if E2 follows E1. So, how do we know whether to utter E1 or E3, unless we know what E2 is, before it is uttered? A very valid observation. That is why, we need to accept the existence of SphoTa. Not only E2, but the entire sentence exists in our mind, in the form of madhyamA vAk.
"Such an interpretation would mean that effect (E3) precedes the cause (E2)".- This is a very acute observation. Now, what if kaala is a kalpanaa, not ultimately real? The problem gets resolved. This is the position of both Advaita and VyAkaraNa.
"Of course, one possible answer is that the first sabda and second sabda always existed as dadhya and atra, and that the rule is merely observing that the first sabda is not dadhi, but dadhya and is attributing the exception (a different first sabda) to the start of the second sabda."- This is more or less the Mimamsa view. I would state it slightly differently. E1, E2 and E3 always exist, and the rule states that E3 is to be used when the right context is E2.
RegardsN. Siva Senani