[Advaita-l] Theory of Language: Mimamsa, Advaita and Vyakarana - 2 of 3

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 06:58:45 CST 2015

Namaste Siva Senani ji,

First of all, thanks for both of your wonderful posts. While awaiting your
3rd post in the series, may I ask the following clarification?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Siva Senani Nori via Advaita-l <

> If dadhi and dadhy are differentŚabdas, then the sūtra of Pāṇini which
> ordains this(इको यणचि ॥6.1.77॥- In the place of iK (i, u, ṛ, ḷ)
> aresubstituted yaṆ (y, v, r, l) when iK is followed by aC (vowels) – this
> is theusual translation of this sūtra) mustbe wrong.

Why would the usual translation be wrong, when the वृत्ति for इको यणचि
would have to say that इकः स्थाने यण् आदेशः भवति? Isn't आदेश (or आगम/ लोप
for that matter) always supposed to be a replacement and not a
modification? In that case, the word दध्य् formed by replacing a letter is
not the same word, unless said so by another पारिभाषिक sutra; is this right?

Of course, Bhashyakara Sabariswami's answer seemed to clinch the argument.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */