[Advaita-l] Question about vegetarianism

Keshava PRASAD Halemane k_prasad_h at yahoo.co.in
Tue Apr 28 09:07:31 CDT 2015

namastE.praNaams to my dear friend Sri Chandrasekhar ji:
Thank you for reminding on the main focus of the group. As a final note before leaving this topic; let me take the liberty of adding one point - Adi Shankara Bhagavadpadacharya in saadhana-pancakam touches upon 40 different items not all (rather, none) of which pertain to the establishment of the identity between jIvaatma and paramaatma, nor do they pertain to the establishment of brahma as the EkamEvAdviteeyasatyam etc.; but indeed delve into all the necessary aspects of saadhana - 'aachaara'  as well as  'vichaara'. Of course, if there are a few fortunate blessed ones amongst us who may not need to get into any details regarding some aspects of 'aachaara', but only need to get themselves immersed in the  'vicaara'  aspects; so be it. May IShvara bless them. However, we also assume that those blessed ones amongst us would exercise a bit of tolerance for the less-fortunately-blessed-ones who may be going with a somewhat slower pace in their saadhana, although the seriousness, sincerity, genuineness and purposefulness need not be unwarrantedly doubted or frowned upon.
If the questions posed are indeed such that the answers (responses) may be quite complex or unwieldy, that is a different case altogether. We can together resolve to shelve such questions for the time being - to be taken for in depth study by those competent ones as the case may be. By brushing aside questions that are difficult, offering some waving of hands seemingly in pretence of having 'addressed' the questions as 'deserved' are approaches which smack on the face, at least for those who have the subtle antahkaraNa to sense them as such.
My Dear Sri Chandrasekhar ji, p-l-e-a-s-e do not misunderstand me for having written the above comments - it is not directed to any specific individual as such, and therefore may not refer to you as well (i hope/wish).  Each of us respond to a situation, based on a combination of various factors; and each of us has the capability to analyse our actions/reactions as to the various possible questions why/what/how/when/where/who/which/etc. . . That is real saadhana!
[as a part of my own individual saadhana - i hereby put a 'stop' on my 'inputs' to this 'thread', at least; p-l-e-a-s-e do catch me live if & when i slip] praNaamsKeshava Prasad Halemane

     On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 6:54 PM, Chandrasekhar S via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 I dont understand why eating meat or not eating  should be a serious topic in a forum advanced teachings of advaitha are discussed.  If one wants to eat go ahead, why you want sastra's support for your action. Veda in general talks about only Nithya  and Naimithika karmas as an injunction.  All other actions are left to individual discretion - but cautions that one will incur punyam or  papam for the action.  For spiritual progress, sathvik food is recommended and meat is definitely not satvik.  Refer to Ayurveda sastra for details about  satvic, rajasic and tamasic food.

S Chandrasekhar