[Advaita-l] No non- advaita schools before Shankara

subhanu subhanu at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 1 06:28:57 CDT 2015

V Subramanian wrote:

"This shows that prior to Shankara there were no vedantic schools that were non-advaitic"

Namaste to all. I changed the heading of the thread.  You may be aware of the following verse near the end of Srimad Bhāgavatam also which many scholars date post Shankara:
Sarva-vedānta-sāram yat
Brahmātmaikatva-lakshanam ।
Vastv-advitīyam tan nishtham
Kaivalyaka prayojanam ।।
(Srimad Bhāgavatam 12.13.12)
We see in such a grantha of Bhakti yoga the above statement that the Bhāgavatam is the essence of all vedanta explaining the unity of brahman and ātman, and that the final teaching is non-dual.
If you take Bhāgavatam as written before Shankara then it supports Shankara's bhashya statement also.
Regards
Subhanu