[Advaita-l] A query from book " Hindu dharma " by Sri Chandrashekharendra Saraswati ( maha periyaval )

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Sat Sep 20 01:44:53 CDT 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Animesh via Advaita-l wrote:

> I was studying " Hindu dharma " by sri Chandrashekharendra saraswati (
> maha periyaval ) and find this passage

> " When we are not engaged in either of these two rites- that is when we
> are doing our office work or something else- the sacred thread must not
> rest on either shoulder and must be worn like a garland. (No one seems
> to observe this rule in practice now. Except during the rites for the
> fathers, most people have their sacred thread resting on their left
> shoulder. )  " I tried to ask my elders about what peiyavaal is saying
> but they told me it's our custom to wear yagnopavitham on left shoulder
> not like garland .

> Neither I find such of any reference in kaushika grihya sutra .
> Please clarify .

There are three positions for wearing yagnopavita

upavita - hanging from left shoulder is the most common hence yagna + upavita =
yajnopavita.

prachinavita - hanging from right shoulder.  We adopt this position during
pitrakaryas.

nivita - hanging around the neck.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Siva Senani Nori via Advaita-l wrote:

>> Sri Sri Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati Swamiji's words are
>> pramaaNa enough (aaptavaakyam). Anyhow, here is तैत्तिरीयारण्यकम् 2.1 -
>> अजिनं वासो वा दक्षिणत
> उपवीय दक्षिणं बाहुमुद्धरते अवधत्ते सव्यमिति, यज्ञोपवीतमेतदेव विपरीतम् प्राचीना
> संवीतं मानुषम््
>>
>> The last two words - संवीतं मानुषम् - explain that when one is engaged
>> in maanushakaaryas, the Yajnopavita should be worn like a garland.
>> (samveetam = neveetam).

Doesn't this apply to manushya tarpana in pancha mahayajnas only?  I do
this during nitya tarpana but Swamiji seems to be saying it should be done
during all laukika karmas too.  That does not seem to be the accepted
practice.