[Advaita-l] Madhvas custom of Sraddha is not correct

Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Sun Sep 14 23:47:34 CDT 2014

Namaste

I am seeing lot of Madhvas go to Maths for doing Paksha Sraddha. I went to
learn what they are doing. They are doing Group Sraddha like one Purohita
is saying Mantras and instructions and all Kartas are doing at the same
time. This is not correct.

The second mistake is they are doing only Chataka Sraddha with Darbhe
Brahmanas but not Pratyaksha Brahmanas. They are using Darbhe instead of
real Brahmanas.

I went to Sankara Math and asked the people there. They also said we should
not do Chataka Sraddha when Brahmins are available. If there is acute
shortage of Brahmanas to sit in Vishwe deva and Pitru Sthana we can use
Darbhe Brahmana.

Other comments welcome.

--
Regards