[Advaita-l] Fwd: Prtyakṣa annulled by Shruti, Smrti and Sutra

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Nov 5 03:19:15 CST 2014

praNAms Sri Sadananda prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Therefore pratyaksha is not annulled by other pramanams,including shaastras, since shaastras also in some sense depend on pratyaksha pramaana only since one has to hear the shaastras. .

>  Yes, you are right and more importantly without taking the shelter under 'loukika padArtha' which is pratyaksha gOchara, even for the Agama it is not possible to teach the lesson which is not the 'vishaya' of pratyaksha pramANa.  Brahmaikatva is shAstra pramANita whereas nAnAtva of this jagat is pratyaksha pramANita.  shAstra,  by showing its finger to 'pratyaksha' gOchAra jagat, says it is nothing but THAT.  See how Agama uses the examples of lOha, mruttika etc. to convey the fact that behind every nAma rUpa there remains ekameva satyaM.

 What is annulled here is the reality assumed to the pratyaksha pramaana from the point of absolute truth. Hence Shankara says - dRisyatvaat - since one sees therefore it is not real.

>  If we go through the whole gamut of vedAnta this world has been explained in two different and seemingly opposite ways, at one place it says this whole nAma rUpAtmaka jagat is figment of imagination like mirage water, dream, mAya, gandharva nagara, samsara vruksha etc. (ayaM varNitaH samsara vrukshaH...svapna mareechyudaka....drushta nashta svarUpO hi saH etc.  All these has been explained when the kArya jagat has been treated as 'separate' from its kAraNa svarUpa and it has its own existence.  But when this same jagat has been analyzed from the kAraNA svarUpa, shruti says this jagat is nothing but THAT it is just because of the fact that for this kArya jagat (which is kAraNAnanya) brahman is the ONE and ONLY abhinna nimittOpadAna kAraNa.  It is only THAT 'sat' only which appears to us as dvaita / vishesha, there is nothing that can be called as 'asat' clarifies shankara.  Sata eva dvaita bhedhena anyathAgruhyamANAtvAnnAsatvaM kasya chit kvachit.  And this has been further clarified without any ambiguity elsewhere by bhAshya kAra : sarvaM cha nAmarUpAdi sadAtmanaiva satyaM vikArajAtaM svatastu anrutameva.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar