[Advaita-l] Jiiva at Satya Loka - Will He or Won't He come back

H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Thu May 29 10:36:16 CDT 2014

Sri Subrahmanianji wrote

<< In the commentary to the BSB for the very last sutra, the Ratnaprabhā
clarifies:

For those who have gone to brahmaloka after performing panchāgnividyā,
ashvamedha, firm brahmacharyā, etc. non-return from that loka is not
guaranteed since they cannot be said to certainly attain nirguṇa
brahmavidyā in brahmaloka. >>

This position appears to be contradictory to the Bhashyam itself. In the
preceding sutra 4-4-21 , the following appears in the Bhashya ( translation
by Swami Gambhirananda )

<< Opponent ; From such a point of view, the powers will have degrees and
so they will be subjecte to termination . Hence these liberated souls will
be liable to returning to this world. >>

Subrahmanianji. The bhashya for the last sutra goes like this. (
Translation by Swami G ) .

<< Those who proceed along the path of the gods , associated with the
nerves and rays of the sun and divided into the stages of light etc., reach
the world of Brahman , as described in the scriptures thus ; In the world
of Brahman , existing in the third order of heaven ( ie. Brahmaloka )
counted from this earth , there exist two seas called Ara and Nya , where
is to be found a lake full of delightful food , where exists a banian tree
exuding ambrosia , where is to be seen a city of Brahman called Aparajita (
the unconquered ) , and where stands a golden palace made by the Lord
himself ( Ch. VIII , v. 3 ) . That world is also spoken of variously in the
*mantra* and eulogistic ( *arthavada* ) portions. After reaching there ,
they do not return as others do from the world of Moon when deprived of
their enjoyment ( ie. Having run through their quota of experience >>

The Bhashyam concludes << But nonreturn stands as an accomplished fact for
those from whom the darkness ( of ignorance ) has been completely removed
as a result of their full illumination and who therefore cling to that
liberation as their highest goal which exists ever as an already
established fact. The nonreturn of those who take refuge in the qualified
Brahman becomes a fact only because they too have that unconditional
Brahman as their ultimate resort >> .

It is thus seen that nonreturn from Brahmaloka is guaranteed to all the
aspirants who have reached that loka. I presume my understanding of the
Bhashya is correct. Is Ratnaprabha considered to be consistent with the
Bhashya in all respects or does it represent independent views which could
also contradict the Bhashya as it considers necessary? Are there any other
commentaries on the Bhashya which differ fro Ratnaprabha?  Kindly clarify.

Regards

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:13 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <