[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 117, Issue 22

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Tue May 20 00:50:06 CDT 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014, Ram Kumar Krishnan ராம குமரன் via Advaita-l wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am following the writings of Shri.Jeyamohan who in his website has
> written articles about pure Advaita and Shankara who is a philosophical
> teacher could not have written bhakthi slokas like Bhaja Govindam,
> Soundarya Lahiri etc as he is the one who expounded on Thath thvam asi . He
> is mentioning that many of the religious worship branches of that time like
> Vaidika , Saiva, Saktha, Vaishnava wanted to align themselves with
> Shankaras Advaita , hence they later formed bhakthi slokas and many stories
> about Shankara . He cites that gurus like Vivekanada , Ramana , Narayana
> Guru followed the pure Advaita

I can't read Tamil but apparently this person thinks "Pure Advaita" only
started in the 19th century.  Like many of these modern gurus he seems to
basically be an atheist who dresses his atheism in Sanskrit pyjamas.

His grasp of what Shankaracharya actually taught seems very shallow
indeed.  Even discounting the authenticity of the stotras, his view on
Bhakti is abundantly clear when you look at his bhashya on the
chaturvyuhAdhikaraNa of the brahmasUtra. (2.2.44-45)  A translation of
the relevant part is available here:
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2010-May/024429.html