[Advaita-l] A Four-part Article on Shankaracharya

Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Tue May 6 01:40:02 CDT 2014

Namaste shri V. Subramaniam ji,

Thank you for sharing divine words of Shringeri Shankaracharya.

In the fourth part, you have written

He emphasised the need for worshipping the Supreme with form, for without
such
a sincere worship,. the mind will continue to remain unsteady. An unsteady
mind
cannot grasp the infinite attributeless Absolute. The need for meditation on
God with form was thus stressed.
​​
Madhusudana Saraswati, the famous all-knowing
author of *Advaita Siddhi,* has said:

DhyAnAbhyaasavashIkRRitena manasA tannirguNam niShkriyam
JyotiH kinchana yogino yadi param pashyanti pashyantu te |

‘By means of the mind brought under control by the practice of meditation,
Yogis behold the Supreme Light that is free from attributes and activity.
Let
them do so.’

asmAkam tu tadeva lochanachamatkArAya bhUyAcchiram
kAlindIpulinodare kimapi yannIlam maho dhAvati ||

‘But I am quite contended with the vision of the luminous blue deity,
Krisna,
who wanders about the banks of the river, Kaalindi.’

​I think these are verses of Gita chapter 15 commentary. Acharya has not
said anything wrong, but I would be grateful to you if you could add in
bracket that these verses are from madhusudan saraswati's gita commentary.

Or simply write,

​
​
 Madhusudana Saraswati, the famous all-knowing
author of *Advaita Siddhi,*
​[in his gudhartha dipika, a commentary on bhagavad gita], ​
has said:

​*words inside square bracket mine​

​this will make things more clear that

1. Madhusudan Saraswati;s most famous work is advaita siddhi
2. Below verses are from his gita commentary​

Hari OM

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <