[Advaita-l] Which one is first in the creation sequence

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 12:10:18 CST 2014

In the first volume of the book 'srIdakShiNAmUrtistotram' the topic of
kAla, Time is dealt in very great detail with a number of citations and
explanations (p.324 to 341).

  kAla is मायात्मसंबन्धः that is, when there comes about a 'connection'
(which, however, is AdhyAsika only)  between avidyA and Chit (Pure
consciousness), there happens all that samsAra is and anything  happens in
time. In the sUtasamhitA 1.8.20, etc. verses, the topic of kAla is
discussed.  Swami Vidyaranya, in his commentary on these says, among many
things, this:

वक्ष्यति ह्युत्तरखण्डे - ’कालो मायात्मसंबन्धः सर्वसाधारणात्मकः’ इति
।...मायावदनादिरप्यसौ तदधीननिरूपणतया...

One can gain much by reading the cited pages in that book, and the
sUtasamihtA portions shown above.  If someone can pl. scan the pages cited
by me above and upload here, it would be of great benefit for all since it
is in English along with original quotations.

subrahmanian.v