[Advaita-l] Vedantic view of perception

sriram nagaraj via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Thu Jun 26 22:31:55 CDT 2014

Dear Vidyasankar Ji,

Thanks for your reply. So if I understand right, we infer the existence of the ego "I" due to perception of thoughts, as this would explain in deep sleep, due to non-awareness of thoughts, we infer the non-existence of ego in deep sleep. Moreover, the "is-ness" of thoughts or objects is due to our perception of them, not independently.

So my follow-up question is how do we (if at all possible) infer the existence of the "cause" being ego "I" without the "effect" of perception of thoughts?

Is this the topic of Drik-Drishya Viveka? If so, any pointers to that text are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sriram Nagaraj

--The inner Light illuminates our minds--