[Advaita-l] Is morality necessary for liberation?

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 10:48:57 CST 2014

Namaste Ramesh ji,

A sAdhaka always tries to find fault in himself, while a samsArI will
always try to find fault in others :) There may be occasional lapses in
character, but this but not mean that one is not making any attempts to
progress spiritually. I do not cover above e.g. by you, as they are
motivated by jealousy and other negative emotions.

What I am trying to say is that if you try to find perfection, then I would
say that no one is perfect except God. But the problem comes when an
immature sAdhaka gives lectures and if he gets success, gets excited and
encouraged by success, keeps expanding his foundation.

So there is no problem in having vAsanA-s, they are natural. But a sAdhaka
may have uprooted say, 90 out of 100. Still 10 remain. If he jumps into
samsAra, then he may develop new vAsanA-s and or water (give food of
thought) to his vAsanA-s thata are not yet uprooted. Say if he is not
managed to uproot sensuality, then ... :) But if he is in isolation, 'it is
work in progress' and after emptying mind, he can jump into this samsAra
for the good of all.

The key is - Is environment (spiritual vibrations or vibrations of others,
good and bad) affect you OR do you influence environment?

IF you say, that vibrations or environment influence me, then you are week,
because when you have surrendered to the almighty, who is the substratum of
universe, everything is under his control, then there is no chance of
anything 'other' to be able to influence you. Affected by environment shows
that something is lacking in us.

Did you see any saints who get liberation at a particular place only? Like
say, all will have to come to arunachala and sit in same spot and meditate
for years to get enlightenment.

What was Shirdi, before Sai Baba stepped in? It was unknown. After a Siddha
stepped in and chose Shirdi as his home, Shirdi became a place of
pilgrimage. Even the great compassionate Buddha only started to preach and
take responsibility of disciples after he established himself in Self.
People may not agree with me because of 'shunya vAda', but the very name
'buddha' suggests 'the awakened one'. In earlier days, names were according
to the nature and spiritual heights achieved. It is only now that Nisha may
look like Usha (bright, fair skinned) and vice versa :D

Hari OM

OM

Sujal