[Advaita-l] Body is the disease

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 23 23:50:07 CST 2014

*Srinath Vedagarbha wrote:*

>pramANa-s and realty of pramANa-s. If Madhusudhana would have
>considered anAditva (which is used as hEtu in his argument) as truth,
>I would not mind even if such hEtu is unreal (mithyA). But you see, as
>explained before, anAditva hEtU is considered as avidyA-drusTi ih his
>own school. Therefore, used hEtu is "false" in nature per his own
>school. That is the point I was trying to make.

I will respond to your other e-mail later, but a quick response to the
above is necessary, especially if you claim to be an advaitin, playing
the "devil's advocate" on behalf of the dvaitin. Please remember that
one of the concepts that other schools find hard to grasp is the
three-valued truth-system of the advaitin. There is not just True and
False, but something called anirvacanIya or sadasad-vilaxaNa, which is
not classified either under True or False. When anAditva is used as a
hetu, it is not True, not False, but anirvacanIya in the advaitin's
system. Remember also that MadhusUdana is using this anirvacanIya hetu
to prove an anirvacanIya result, the lack of anyonyAshraya between
avidyA and jIva. So he is justified in doing so. Nowhere has
MadhusUdana or any other advaitin claimed that the anyonyAdhInatA
between avidyA and jIva is tAttvika. Also, avidyA itself is not False,
but anirvacanIya.

Anand