[Advaita-l] Doubts on Karma, future births etc.

Ajit Krishnan ajit.krishnan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:31:27 CST 2014

namaste,

> many people who do sadhana for years but they remain the same

The point of sadhana is to effect inner transformation, which may or may
not be visible externally. Even when we perform the same action repeatedly,
our underlying mental state is certainly different. No one remains the same
over the course of 20 years ... with or without sadhana.

> Does this mean their karmas are not being eliminated

Dealing with the weight of karma is somewhat analogous to dealing with
physical weight. Most of us are spiritually obese, laden with heavy karmas.
And, we work diligently to shed this karmic weight. Our sadhana is like
physical exercise .... important, but not sufficient. If we gorge ourselves
for the remaining 20+ hours of the day, it is very unlikely that our
sadhana can compensate. Even if people are doing the same amount of
sadhana, some may be shedding karmic baggage, others might be doing just
enough to burn off what they accumulate in a day, and yet others might not
be doing enough to compensate for their lifestyle and environment.

> Is there any tangible hint, or must we simply assume this?

Examine yourself. The goal, and how far you have to go ... they really
don't matter. Try to control your thoughts, and slowly reduce the effect of
the shadripus. You will succeed and fail repeatedly. Keep working towards
sustained forward progress.

If you look for tangible hints, you will almost certainly be able to see
the signs of progress in yourself ... even though you may have made no
progress. Someone who is looking for "kundalini awakening" may mistake
minor movements of prana for the movement of the kundalini. Someone who is
looking for calmness of the mind may mistake calmness of the outer mind for
calmness in the internal mental vasanas. Someone who is looking for
detachment may mistake aversion and indifference for detachment. Someone
who is looking for a 'spiritual experience' may mistake a day-dream for a
genuine experience.

As far as practical spiritual life is concerned, one interesting book that
you might consider reading is "Meditation and Spiritual Life" by Swami
Yatiswarananda.

sasneham,

    ajit