[Advaita-l] [advaitin] svabhAva of Atman IS 'sarvajnatvaM'

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 07:34:32 CST 2014

Bhaskarji - PraNAms

I follow simple rules in all these.

 First, there is nothing to argue but something to recognize.  Brahman's swaruupa lakshaNam is satyam, jnaanam and anantam - these  are not attributes but its intrinsic nature of Brahman. From our discussion point which is in vyavahaara, nothing more can be said about Brahman since no words can reach there - being infinite. Nirguna, nirvikaara nitya etc are associated with the anantatvam or infiniteness aspect of the Brahman. yato vaacho nivartante apraapya manasaa saha - na vaak gachchhati na manaH.. etc. are scriptural declarations.

All guNas belong to prakRiti which is nothing but maaya and it is being Iswara Shakti, the properties also associated with Iswara only - as saguNa. Since any description of Iswara in terms of sarvajnatvam, sarvashaktitvam, sarva vyaapakatvam, etc - which are descriptive to differentiate jiiva attributes from Iswara attributes, they descriptors  belong to within vyaavahaara only. Bhaaga tyaaga lakshana has to be applied that involves dropping all contradictory qualifications of jiiva and Iswara using viveka to arrive at the understanding of mahaavakyas that Vedanta teaches.

Looking from this angel anything or any descriptors that we use for Brahman belong saguna brahman or Iswara only, and hence they all fall within vyavahaara. Hence omnipresence, omnipresent, omniscient etc all belong Iswara only and therefore vyavhaara satyam only.

Logically also sarva is prefix that implies inclusion of all  which obviously implies that  any possible exclusions to be excluded. Sarve bhavantu sukhinaH when we say - we are including all without exclusion, since such exclusion possibility exists. From paaramaarthika point such an emphasis is not needed.

I must say that in Vishishtaadvaita where internal differentiation is allowed - swagata bhedas - sarva in most of attributes of Narayana excludes durgunas by proclamation - He is described as ananta kalyaana guna aashraya - or locus of infinite auspicious qualities - which by definition excludes in auspicious qualities.

Any further arguments are only centered on these essential aspects.

Hari Om!
Sadananda