[Advaita-l] Omnisience .........

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 01:08:00 CST 2014

Namaste.

 At this stage I thought it best to bringout the views of some experts in
the field for members to take a view on the issue.

Mahamahopadhyaya R A Satyanarayana

 Quote < It is interesting to note that two sUtras of bAdarAyaNa deal with
pariNAmavAda. The first of these is: AtmakR^iteH pariNAmAt [1-4-26]. Here
is what shrImadachArya writes in this context:

pUrvapakSha: kathaM punaH pUrvasiddhasya sataH kartR^itvena vyavasthitasya
kriyamANatvaM shakyaM saMpAdayitum?
AchArya: pariNAmAditi brUmaH, pUrvasiddho.api hi san AtmA visheSheNa
vikArAtmanA cha pariNAmo mR^idAdyAsu prakR^itiShu upalabdhaH |

The second sUtra is: tadananR^itvamAraMbhaNashabdAdibhyaH [2.1.14].
pariNAmavAdin, the pUrvapakShi here, states thus:

pUrvapakshi: nanu mR^idAdi dR^iShTAnta praNayanat pariNAmavat
brahmashAstrasyAbhimatam iti gamyate |

AchArya, quoting Ishvara gItA, gItA, bR^ihadAraNyakopaniShad and
brahmasUtra (2,1,13), concludes that there is no vyavahAra for Brahman in
paramAvasthA. Having said so, he still does not completely negate pariNAma
mata, which in this context appears to have the puShTi of sUtrakAra
(bAdarAyaNa), of ChAndogya shruti (6,1,1) and he seems to do this more so
for the sake of loka vyavahAra:

apratyAkhyAyaiva kAryaprapa~nchaM pariNAmaprakriyAM chAshrayati saguNeShu
upAsaneShu upayokShyate iti |

So, how is one to interpret the mata of shankara in this regard? Here is
the answer: pariNAma prakriyA is the vAda that jagat is the pariNAma of
Brahma. Though this prakriyA is not possible owing to brahma being
kUTastha, for the sake of vyavahAra, shruti states sR^iShTi to illustrate
prapancha (which only *appears* to be true) as non-different from Brahman.
Having accepted this prakriyA, there is adhyAropaNa of some desirable
qualities of kArya prapancha on Ishvara, for the sake of saguNopAsanA. Such
an upAsanA is needed by the mandAdhikArins.

Thus, it is not incorrect to interpret that shankara directs the teaching
of vivartavAda towards an uttamAdhikArin and pariNAmavAda/shrIvidyA tantra
towards a madhyamAdhikArin. >.Unquote

I will followup with a few more in due course.

Regards