[Advaita-l] Which one is first in the creation sequence

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 10:06:00 CST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda <
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2/28/14, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Venkatesh Murth - PraNAms
>

> Can you give a Shruti reference where time is created by Iswara?

Dear Sada ji,

In the gloss to the opening mantra bhAShya of the mAnDukyopaniShad, Sri
Anandagiri says: The avyAkRta (mAyA, roughly)is not limited by time since
it is the cause of time too.  He cites a mantra:

//'sasasmvatsaro'bhavan na ha purA tataH samvatsara Asa'  - From this
shruti passage we know that Time originates from the sUtrAtman
(HiraNyagarbha).//

Someone can give reference to this vedic passage and see what sAyNAchArya
 comments.  The rough translation of this sentence is: 'He
(sUtrAtmA/HiraNyagarbha) originated *along with* 'samvatsara', before him
samvatsara was not (existent).'

regards
subrahmanian.v