[Advaita-l] Shankha and Siva Puja

Crbala Subramanian crbsram at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 02:19:39 CST 2014

Hi Venkatesh Sir

In Shaivagama, there is a chapter which tells that how to do shanka
abhisheka to Lord Shiva. And it also mentions the paddhati to do 108 shanka
and 1000 shanka abhisheka. Like before doing shanka abhisheka all the
shanka are placed above the rice grain or in other arranged in some shape
and there is a namavali for doing the archana for each and evry shanka be
it 1000 or 108. Then there will a raja shanka the main shanka and the
special pooja is done for that. Then shivacharya takes this raja shanka and
do one pradakshina of the temple by reciting durga sooktha, purusha sooktha
and some agama mantra. Then Sri Rudra Prashna is chanted and all the holy
water that is there in the shanka is offered as abhisheka to Lord Shiva. So
I don't see any objection of doing shanka abhisheka to Lord Shiva.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Om Sri Saccidananda Shivabhinava Sri Nrisimha bharati Thirtha
CharanaaravindhabhyAm Namaha
Om Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati Mahaswami CharanaaravindhabhyAm Namaha
Om Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Thirtha CharanaaravindhabhyAm Namaha