[Advaita-l] Saraswati is Shiva's sister?

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 01:25:11 CST 2014

Namaste Subramaniam ji,

As told by Srirudra, it is said by Kanchi Paramacharya in his book The guru
Guru Tradition, last part, where Paramacharya (KP) explains the need of
Brahma in trinity.

KP says that if the trinity has just one function of preservation, etc,
then even they are not the supreme. So to make them complete, they are
married to shakti. If it was just Vishnu and Shiva, then it would be mere
exchange, but in case of trinity there is no exchange.

KP cites from Devi bhagavat and Markendeya purana.

Shiva represents Jnana. He has white complexion, so is Sarasvati. both are
white complexioned.
Vishnu and Kali are both black complexioned
Brahma and Laxmi are golden complexioned and both reside on Lotus.

KP says that Jnana cannot be split, but the preserver can split himself.
The creative work goes Brahma and protecting people by fulfilling their
wishes (like giving prosperity, grace), is also the work of preserver of
universe, which he has passed on to Laxmi. So both Laxmi and Brahma are
expansions of Vishnu.

Can't remember more details. Just quoting from my memory.

Hari OM

Sujal