[Advaita-l] Narayanaya in Advaita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 23:39:33 CST 2014

Namaste Sri Chandramouli

In Advaita we can see two types of thinking about Narayana. Sometimes
Narayana is treated equal to Nirguna Brahma. Sometimes Narayana is Vishnu
God. We should worship him with his Shankha Chakra and other things. Adi
Sankara has used these two types of concepts.

In Mathematics we use limits to say limit of sin(x) by x as x tends to Zero
is 1. It means when x becomes smaller and smaller the ratio of sin(x) and x
is closer and closer to 1. Similarly, we can think like this about God.
Narayana with attributes like Shankha and Chakra tends to Nirguna Brahma
when we become more and more advanced in Advaita practice. When we are not
advanced he will be God with attributes but when we become very advanced He
is Nirguna Brahma only.

The Gita also has said '*Yo Yo Yam Yam* Tanum Bhaktaha Sraddhayarcitum
Icchati Tasya Tasyacalam Sraddham Tam Eva Vidadhamy Aham'. If we want to
worship God in one particular form he will appear in that form only. When
we become advanced in Advaita we will think He is Formless. Then He will be
Formless. He will be Nirguna Brahma.

There are also some Jnani's who like to see the Saguna Brahman again after
Brahma Jnana. The Astronaut goes into space and there he can see Sun is not
rising and setting. But when he comes to earth and he will again enjoy the
Sunrise and Sunset very much with his family. Similarly, some Jnanis will
offer bhakti to Saguna Brahma like before Jnana. Because they get pleasure
in it.

Regards

-Venkatesh