[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** The Authenticity of the Shiva Sahasra Nāma

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 06:08:05 CST 2014

A few days ago I had announced a file upload titled 'Misconceptions about
Shiva....' wherein I had mentioned about the particular blogger's
(narayanastra) holding that the Shiva Sahasra Nama is an interpolation in
the MB.  In reply to that I had mentioned that Nilakanth'a's commentary on
the MB includes the Shiva Sahasra nama too (maharashtra reading).  Now, in
the following post I am adding that the Madhva recension of the MB contains
the same Shiva sahasra nama (pl see attachment).  I have it on the
authority of a renowned Madhva scholar Vidwan Dr. Haridasa Bhatta Acharya
of the Purnaprajna vidya pitha, Bangalore, who regularly discourses on the
MB (in Kannada and Tulu too sometimes) that the Kumbhakonam edition is what
is authoritative to them and that it contains the Shiva sahasra nama.  I am
citing the Madhva admissibility here because the blogger had said that
Madhva has in his MBTN mentioned that there are interpolations in the MB
and therefore *according to the blogger*, stories of Shiva being eulogised
are mere interpolations and the sahasra nama too is one such.   In order to
just show that the Madhvas admit the sahasra nama not as interpolation, I
made the enquiry and here is the result.

regards
subrahmanian.v

-
I got to see the Kumbhakonam edition of the MB and found the Shiva sahasra
nama, the same as the Nilakantha (Maharashtra) edition.  I have attached a
file containing the screen shots of that book which I downloaded from:

http://asi.nic.in/asi_books/9013.pdf

This is just for your information.